Board index Forum 914 Shop Talk What got you hooked on 914s?

What got you hooked on 914s?

How to fix, where to buy, what to look for...

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:25 am
KLMS Newbie

I saw a thread on 914World where someone was talking about meeting the owner of the car that got him hooked on 914s over 30 years later. That got me thinking about how I caught the bug.

When I was a kid, there was a guy down the street from us who had a later model (assume 1975) in Laguna Blue. He had a son that was two years younger than me, so I really didn't hang out with him, but I was at their house a few times. Besides the 914, they also had an air hockey table and their own pinball machine in the basement! I was so jealous.
:drool: That was the height of large living to a middle schooler in the 70's.

Post Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:20 pm
SC914 Newbie

I was taught the basics of standard shift in my dad's stock 74 1.8 in a college parking lot. Then he had me drive home 20 mins away. I stalled a lot in the beginning of the drive, but I quickly figured out what not do and actually drove properly on home.

I wasn't allowed to drive his 914 without him partly because it was his daily driver until I logged enough hours to solo. My dad still has his 74 1.8 to this day.

He regrets not buying a 74 Creamsicle in North Carolina in 75/76 that was on a used car lot when he worked in a Mental Health clinic up in the Smokey Mountains. The only reason he knew about the Creamsicle was because a female colleague asked him to check the car out to see if was an okay buy.

Return to Shop Talk