Board index Forum 914 Shop Talk shift linkage adjustment

shift linkage adjustment

How to fix, where to buy, what to look for...

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:11 pm
jdlPorsche Newbie

I'm going to try dialing in the shift linkage adjustment on my 72 that was converted to a side sift tranny. It's close but 4th and 5th go in to hard. It has all new bushings. I'll put new allen screws at the two joints that require them to see if that tightens up and aligns those two spots. Then I'll follow some adjustment instructions I found on another website.
j
Have a great Day!

Post Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:04 pm
SC914 Newbie

Try the following:

Check the orientation of the shift linkage bar from the firewall to transmission

Condition of the plastic ball cup on the transmission

Any slop between the bar and the inside diameter of all the bushings

The last one is a big issue I've noticed. My dad had to make a custom bushing at the transmission where the rod passes through for his car and mine to get all gears.

Post Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:37 pm
Racer X User avatar

I've found that the best way to re-set the linkage for a side-shifter is the following:

1. Remove the foreward tunnel access plate under the center carpet.
2. Loosen the set screw that secures the tunnel rod to the connector on the bottom of the shifter
3. Clamp the tunnel rod with a pair of vise grips and turn it clockwise until it stops (it will only turn about 45 degrees)
4. Tighten the set screw.
5. Replace the tunnel plate and carpet.
6. Go for a test drive. :drive:

That should fix your issue with 4th & 5th.
It's about a two out of ten on the hard-to-do-ometer. :cheers:
Racer X
1975 2.0 Forest Green

Post Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:44 pm
KLMS Newbie

SC914 wrote:
My dad had to make a custom bushing at the transmission where the rod passes through for his car and mine to get all gears.

Do you mean where the rod exits the tunnel? Can you post a pic of the custom bushing?

Return to Shop Talk